Friday 16 January 2009

David Hilliard









Watching David Hilliard's photographs, is like watching TV in HD. You get more details, a better side view. I really like the way he presents his work and I also like the humanity that transcends his pictures.

The Mark Moore Gallery is presenting his new work in the Project Room (January 10, 2009—February 14, 2009). Through his signature multi-paneled prints, Hilliard constructs cinematic narratives that skillfully address both the individual and the universal. Although the life we bear witness to is quite obviously his, the feelings evoked in his work; isolation, nostalgia, desire, are common to all.(Artinfo)

This is what Hilliard writes about his work on his website :

For years I have been actively documenting my life and the lives of those around me, recording events and attempting to create order in a sometimes chaotic world. While my photographs focus on the personal, the familiar and the simply ordinary, the work strikes a balance between autobiography and fiction. Within the photographs physical distance is often manipulated to represent emotional distance. The casual glances people share can take on a deeper significance, and what initially appears subjective and intimate is quite often a commentary on the larger contours of life.

For me, the construction of panoramic photographs, comprised of various single images, acts as a visual language. Focal planes shift, panel by panel. This sequencing of photographs and shifting of focal planes allows me the luxury of guiding the viewer across the photograph, directing their eye; an effect which could not be achieved through a single image.

I continually aspire to represent the spaces we inhabit, relationships we create, and the objects with which we surround ourselves. I hope the messages the photographs deliver speak to the personal as well as the universal experience. I find the enduring power and the sheer ability of a photograph to express a thought, a moment, or an idea, to be the most powerful expression of myself, both as an artist, and as an individual.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...