Thursday 6 January 2011

PAUL DAVIES








PAUL DAVIES
Born 1979


EDUCATION
2011 - undergoing Masters by Research, UNSW College of Fine Arts
2006 Painting Master Class, National Art School
2000 Bachelor of Fine Arts, UNSW College of Fine Art
1987-1994 Landscape painting class under Central Coast artist Kel Connell


"The focus of my recent work is predominantly based on the relationship between the built and non-built environment. My interest in this subject began during school and was prompted by a painting my parents owned by Jeffrey Smart, titled “Man with bouquet” 1982. At this time, my parents also introduced me to the photography of Ansel Adams and the combination of these two influences manifested in the work I produced while taking art classes whilst under the supervision of Central Coast landscape artist, Kel Connell. Connell taught me the basics of landscape painting and omitted the human form from all work, instead focusing on built forms to provide the subject. Connell’s training, together with more recent exposure to Australian Street Artists and Graffiti Writers (introduced through my involvement with the China Heights collective, Surry Hills) and my study at COFA, have merged to form the multidisciplinary practice I use today. My practice primarily involves photography, stenciling, and acrylic painting, with which my first experiments began in 2002. These works depicted Sydney street scenes mixed with researched popular culture images. The layering process of this technique created on the canvas a visual diary of my immediate surroundings." (READ MORE HERE)


PAUL DAVIES @ TIM OLSEN GALLERY

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...