Saturday 16 May 2009

HIDEMI TAKAGI



HIDEMI TAKAGI
Born in Kyoto, Japan. Moved to New York in 1997. Currently lives and works in Brooklyn, New York

ARTIST STATEMENT
"My work reflects my life as a child in the days after I moved to New York.
In Japan I grew up with so many things made in America such as TV shows, music, food and especially movies. I was attracted to American culture's different gestures, sense of humor, fashion and appearance. Everything seemed so happy and bright for me at that time. It was my little fantasy.

Upon moving to New York in 1997 I was struck by the difference between what I saw and experienced and the romantic vision I had conjured while in Japan. My idea of American life began to change rapidly. I immediately struggled with the cultural difference between Japan and America, where so many races intermingle, each with their own traditional background and point of view. I felt so lost in this mind-boggling atmosphere that I was brought to tears on several
occasions. Although lately I am able to appreciate this diverse place, for the great and valuable new things that I am able to experience in a land exposed to so many different ideas. Through the exposure to this constant diversity I am able to see and embrace my own Japanese culture more readily, and find unique lenses into other cultures and world affairs.

Now I can only open my eyes wider to see something that is invisible for many people. I am finding something new about America and it is different communities almost everyday through my adventures in New York."(HIDEMI TAKAGI)

HIDEMI TAKAGI

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...