Sunday 12 February 2012

KARINE JOLLET







KARINE JOLLET /// FABRIC SCULPTURES


ARTIST STATEMENT

The body as an enigma,
I explore it, step by step, like a space that I need to reconstruct, to unify.

Fabrics are materials that came naturally to me as an analogy to our own biological tissues: bones, fibres, cristalls...

I start with old bed sheets and shirts, embroided handkerchieves and second-hand fabrics that I cut up, put the fragments together, pad them and then sew them by hand.

In this way I reconstruct different body parts (arms, legs, heads) and several organs and bone structures.

Then, acting as a mirror to anatomic parts, I create symbolic forms: cristalls made of pearls, flowers, animals, fantastic creatures, allegories, dreams.

My inspiration derives from old traditions as well as from primitive beliefs and votive practices.

Amongst these multiple dimensions, naturalism and symbolism interact with each other through a common language: white.

A tribute paid to the spirit-body union. Celebration of Life.



KARINE JOLLET

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...