Thursday 11 February 2010

FABIO ZONTA




FABIO ZONTA's photograph really touch me this morning. I have been thinking about different subjects for a new series of paintings that I want to make and flowers, especially Tea Roses, keep coming in my mind. A couple of months ago, I saw a picture in Vanity Fair or Vogue (can't remember which) of a Tea Rose on a white background and I thought it looked absolutely beautiful, but there wasn't any photo credit so I never could find out who was the author of such beauty. Anyhow, that picture gave me the will to make a series of huge square paintings of Tea Roses on a colored background. In that urge, I bought myself the TASCHEN book of Pierre-Joseph Redouté's roses engraveries. But I'm still heasitating to make that series because with my style, which has a lot of texture and a very glossy finish, I don't know if it would be visually that interesting.

All to say that this morning I stumbled upon Fabio Zonta's work and I was in awe and contemplation because it resumes what I have had in my head for months. I don't know if he is the author of that photo I saw in Vogue, but I am very happy to see his work and I find it very very, very beautiful.

+++

FABIO ZONTA was born in Bassano del Grappa in 1958. In 1977 he moved to Milan where he worked at Alfredo Pratelli’s Publifoto; within the renowned agency he assisted Alfa Castaldi and Chistopher Broadbent. From 1979 to 1982 Fabio Zonta was assistant to Davide Mosconi with whom he established a strong collaboration, which ended in 2002 when his mentor and friend died. Simultaneously, since 1980 he has collaborated with several design and architecture magazines and his photographs have been regularly published by Abitare, Domus, Gran-Bazaar, Ottagono, Modo and Interni.

Fabio Zonta has been staff photographer for important architecture firms, such as Cini Boeri, Matteo Thun, Sottsass-Associati, Antonio Zanuso, and Venini glassware in Venezia until 1986. He has photographd the work of Renata Bonfanti, Laura Diaz de Santillana, Philip Tsiaras, Lee Babel, Stefania Lucchetta, Candido Fior, Alessandro Diaz de Santillana for catalogues and exhibitions.Since his first solo exhibition in 2003 he has been focusing mainly on the Natura Morta theme; he has had exhibitions at Paris Photo, Art Miami, Ginevra, Roma, Firenze, Milano, Torino and Genova.

He has released several publications and his work is part of significant collections both in Italy and abroad. He is represented by Brancolini Grimaldi gallery, Roma/Firenze. He works and lives between Bassano del Grappa and Milan.

+++

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...