Sunday 20 March 2011

KARINE LAVAL







KARINE LAVAL /// POOLSCAPES

"In the Poolscapes series I'm trying to explore the friction between the real and the imaginary. In some of the images the main subject is not the pool anymore but the invisible world surrounding it reflected in the water. I intentionally flipped some of the images upside down as I like to use photography to challenge the familiar perception we have of the world and I often see my pictures as a bridge between the world we live in and a more surreal and dreamlike dimension. I think that aspect in my work is not only created by the sometimes-unusual angles, but also by the color palette I use, which gives the images a painterly quality. I do find inspiration in painting, both abstract and figurative, and some of the images in the series intentionally echo some modern and contemporary painters." (KARINE LAVAL)


Born in Paris in 1971, KARINE LAVAL currently lives and works in New York. Educated at the University of La Sorbonne and the University of ASSAS in Paris, where she majored in communications and journalism, she completed her education with photography and design courses at Cooper Union, SVA and the New School of New York.

KARINE LAVAL

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...